And the Winner Is…
This post features the very first 131 Method recipe challenge contest winner. Jenny L. created “Zachos, ” which we loved for many reasons. Not only are they a deliciously healthy twist on what’s normally a dismally unhealthy dish, but she nailed several points:
- Lots of veggies
- Maintained great macronutrient ratios for the phase in which it was entered (Ignite)
- Easy to make and clean up after
- Delish for the whole family
- Fun to customize
- Visually appealing and colorful
- Something not already in the 131 Method program
Jenny created this recipe for one person, so all we did here in the 131 Kitchen was make the serving size for a family of four. We also added a vegan cheese drizzle as an option. Vegan cheese is easily made in a blender with some hot water, cashews or macadamia nuts, nutritional yeast, seasoning and salt. (Check your program to find some versions we use in other recipes).
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: full recipe
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 12 min
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced ¼-inch thick
- ¼ cup Mexican seasoning, divided
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 pound 85/15 ground beef
- 1 can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can green chilis
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- ¼ cup sliced olives
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ¼ cup low carb salsa
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment or a silpat.
- Blot zucchini and lay on baking sheet. Coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons seasoning. Bake for 7 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet. Brown ground beef. Drain fat. Return to skillet. Add remaining seasoning, tomatoes, chilis, salt, and cayenne, if using and stir for 3 minutes.
- Spoon meat over zucchini. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast. Return to oven for 5 minutes.
- Use a spatula to transfer zachos onto 4 plates. Top with desired toppings.
Congrats to Jenny! We look forward to our next contest for anyone currently in the 131 program. All contestants receive a special bonus recipe from the 131 Method Book, and the winner receives a prize!