Non-dairy cheeses frequently contain either soy or gums (things we try avoiding for healthy guts). But what’s a cheese-lover to do? Well, we cannot wait to tell you! Ya see, with a little creativity, some veggies and gelatin, you can MAKE your own cheese. It even melts! Be prepared to have your cheese-loving mind blown! Oh- and since this recipe is dairy-free, packed with gut-loving gelatin AND full of vegetables, you can be certain your body’s gonna love it!
Why Veggie Cheese?
Well, because most people are lactose intolerant. We know! It’s a bummer. But ice cream, yogurt, milk, and even your beloved cheese might be causing you inflammation (whether you realize it or not). But, most people DO know they don’t tolerate dairy well and choose to ignore the symptoms because Rocky Road tastes that good. What’s a little gas and bloating after an oozing grilled cheese sandwich? Small price to pay for a delicious meal? We think not. In fact, these indulgences, even if infrequent, cause major damage to your body. That’s where this creative and creamy veggie cheese comes in!
You really must make it to believe it! Not only is this a super quick recipe, but the flavor and texture are so close to a soft cheddar cheese, no one may notice the difference. We like to carefully shred it for quesadillas and sauces by using our lemon zester. Oh- and let’s not forget how cool it is to make veggie cheese using the powerful antioxidant: turmeric!
Not to sound “cheesy”- but we can’t wait to hear from you about this recipe! Please comment below after you give it a whirl.
Veggie CheesePrint Recipe
- 1¼ cups carrots, roughly chopped
- 4 small-medium zucchinis, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 7 tablespoons grass-fed gelatin
- In a medium pot, add the carrots, zucchini and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat slightly. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until carrots are soft.
- Drain water completely. Add veggies to a large blender.
- Add the oil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, garlic powder and turmeric and blend on low, then high until smooth (about 30 seconds).
- Reduce blender to low and slowly add gelatin 1 tablespoon at a time as the blender runs.
- Pour into a 9-by-9-inch pan and refrigerate for several hours to overnight. Cut into 56 cubes. Store in a sealed container for up to a week.
Cheese can be grated and melted; the final product melts to a nacho cheese consistency.
Calories: 19 | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Carbs: .9g | Fiber: 0g | Net Carbs: .9g