In the 131 Method, we talk all about inflammatory ingredients. Dairy, gluten, sugar, alcohol…these top this list for culprits. However, we also talk about how every person is individual. What’s bothersome for one might not be a problem for someone else. Some types of dairy might be just fine for you. A little yogurt or cottage cheese may feel good, while milk or ice cream leaves you bloated and in pain. That’s why we make many of our recipes dairy-free. But not all of them, because, well, everyone is different. We deliver two options for cream cheese lovers, vegan, and non. Check out our post on homemade cream cheese here. And scroll below to find our vegan version. Keep in mind, the vegan cashew cream cheese here is best for spreading, and maybe in no-bake vegan cheesecake or fat bomb recipes. Baking is another story with the vegan version:)
Vegan Cashew Cream Cheese
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1/8th recipe
Prep Time: 5 min
Soak Time: 1 hour
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- ¼ cup unsweetened cashew, coconut or almond yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Pinch sea salt
For Everything Vegan Cream Cheese:
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1½ teaspoons “Everything but the Bagel” seasoning
For a Sweet Vegan Cream Cheese:
- 1 tablespoon honey
- handful or raisins
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Soak the cashews by pouring boiling water over them in a large bowl and leaving them for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and add to a food processor. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and salt. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides as needed.
- Stir in the chives and seasoning if making the favored version. (If you can’t find the seasoning, just add ½ teaspoon each of sesame seeds, garlic powder and dried onion flakes).
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Calories: 146| Protein: 5g | Fat: 11.5g | Carbs: 8g | Fiber: .5g | Net Carbs: 7.5g
Check out some of our favorite recipes where can use your new cream cheese:
Let us know below: can you do a little bit of dairy? If so, which kinds?