Pesto is an Italian favorite made with basil, garlic, olive oil, Parmesan, pine nuts, salt and pepper. Traditional uses include over pasta, as a pizza or with bread. We like it over chicken or salmon, over low carb pizza crust and tossed with zoodles. Like most recipes, we wanted to upgrade and face lift regular pesto to make it 131 approved. Our Super Greens Lemon Pesto ditches the inflammatory cheese and adds more greens. We also add lemon for extra freshness. The lemon juice allowed us to reduce the amount of oil just a bit.
Super Greens Lemon Pesto Composition
Let’s talk about extra-virgin olive oil here for a sec. Dr. Gundry, author of the bestselling books The Plant Paradox and The Longevity Paradox, basically says, “food is just a way to get olive oil into your mouth.” The health benefits of this MUFA oil are widely known. Consuming monounsaturated fatty acids may help lower your risk of heart disease by improving your risk factors. MUFAs may lower your total and (bad) low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels but maintain your (good) high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol level.
But don’t go too crazy. All fats, including MUFAs, are high in calories, so use olive oil in moderation. Consume MUFA-rich foods instead of other fatty foods, not in addition to them. We include JUST the right amount in our lemon pesto recipe below!
We add fresh lemon juice (and zest, if ya like!) to our lemon pesto recipe to add an element of freshness, as well as extra nutrients. According to Healthline.com:
- Lemons may support heart health, weight control, and digestive health
- One lemon provides about 31 mg of vitamin C, which is 51% of the reference daily intake
- Lemons may aid weight loss and reduce your risk of heart disease, anemia, kidney stones, digestive issues, and cancer
Did you notice we swapped in this delicious nut instead of pine nuts? That’s because pistachios have a wonderful flavor and texture that makes this recipe even more unique. Check out these highlights:
- One of the lowest calorie nuts with highest protein
- High in antioxidants
- High in fiber (so good for gut health)
- Low glycemic index despite being a higher carb nut
- High in potassium and B6
Give this pesto with a twist a try and let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Super Greens Lemon PestoPrint Recipe
- ¾ cup packed basil
- ½ cup packed arugula
- ½ cup packed spinach
- ⅓ cup roasted, salted pistachios
- ¼ cup avocado oil or EVOO
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Add everything to a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Scrape sides as needed, adding water as needed to reach preferred consistency. Spoon over veggies, fish, chicken or steak or over zucchini noodles.
Calories: 128 | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12.5g | Carbs: 3g | Fiber: 1g | Net Carbs: 2g