Oh the Pinterest photos of this drool worthy dish! The Mexican street corn pix are enough to have you licking your screen! With bright yellow corn and red and green spices with salty cotija cheese, it’s a pretty irresistible recipe. So, when we see something that gives us goosebumps, we recreate the recipe 131 Method style. What’s that mean? Well, we start with organic ingredients. Next, we remove any sugar or gluten. Most of the time, we ditch dairy too. Basically, we revamp the recipe to be free of the top inflammatory ingredient culprits.
Often, we also try to make the recipes fit into one of our phasing categories: Fat Burning, Plant-Based, Lean Green or Carb Charge. Learn about diet phasing here. (Hint- diet phasing help you stop traditional dieting and cutting calories). Sometimes, however, we create recipes because they’re just delicious. And, they might not fit snugly into a particular 131 phase. Our Mexican Street Corn Nachos have a place in anyone’s diet, provided you’re balanced in other areas. We think this makes a great Carb Charge meal. Getting your carbs from whole, real foods, like vegetables, is so much better than from processed grains.
How we Health-ify
For our Mexican Street Corn (also called Elote Corn), we used our favorite mayonnaise (other than our own homemade one, of course). The flavors in the Primal Kitchen Chipotle and Lime just pop in this recipe. It’s such a delicious and CLEAN product. We don’t add sour cream, like some recipes. We also keep the cheese optional for those with dairy intolerances. Although, the cotija’s salty and unique flavor really does add to the dish. You could try subbing grated goat’s cheddar if that works better for you. Clearly, we didn’t use chips. We opted for zucchini. It’s low-calorie and nutrient dense. Feel free to just enjoy the corn as is, or, sub in some grain-free chips, like Siete Brand.
Mexican Street Corn Nachos
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1/4th recipe
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 25 min
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups organic frozen corn kernels
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons spicy avocado mayo such as Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼-½ teaspoon chili powder
- sea salt, to taste
- Juice of one lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup cotija cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Heat oven to 375° Slice zucchini into 1/4-inch circles. Blot dry with a paper towel. Place on 1-2 baking sheets in a single layer and coat with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add corn and jalapeno and sauté for 8 minutes. Remove to a bowl and stir in the mayo, seasonings, salt, lime juice and cilantro.
- Layer the zucchini on the existing pan, or a cast iron skillet so that they’re slightly overlapping. Pour corn mixture on top. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake in oven for 7-8 minutes, until warmed through and cheese softens.
- Can’t do cheese- no problem! Omit it, or use a dairy-free cheese instead.
Calories: 341| Protein: 11g | Fat: 21g | Carbs: 42g | Fiber: 6g | Net Carbs: 36g
We love when you chat with us below in the comments! Leave us a message, or let us know when you make our Mexican Street Corn! Also- tag us on social when you make a recipe! #131recipes and #131method