We just love our bread and gluten-free alternatives in the 131 kitchen. Why, you ask? Well, we like bread as much as the next gal, but bread (and gluten) don’t usually love us back. Instead, we embrace the INSIDES of sandwiches, wraps and burritos instead of focusing on the outsides (it’s inside that counts, right?!). So, grab all of your favorite fillings, from pickles and sauerkraut to onions and shaved organic turkey, and stuff the living daylights outta these Low Carb Collard Wraps!
The process to make these is easy. You’ll need some boiling water and ice into get these perfectly pliable while maintaining their sturdiness. If you keep the collar leaves raw, they’re a bit too fibrous and don’t fold as well. If you’re looking for some other bread alternatives, check out this blog.
Collard greens offer many health benefits including cancer prevention, better digestion, tons of vitamins and minerals, and anemia prevention. So, while they’re not bread (nor do they pretend to be), these leaves are powerhouses for your body!
Wanna know more about why we eat low carb some weeks, plant-based other weeks, and low fat, and high carb a few days a month? It all comes together in the 131 Method, which is based on diet phasing. Losing weight is so dang hard! That’s because what works for one person doesn’t work for another. But when you customize your plan with foods that agree with YOUR body, and you PHASE the way you eat so your metabolism keeps on guessing, weight loss becomes easier. It’s a new way! A better way!
Find out all about out online program, the 131 Method Book and our weight loss meal plans here.
That’s a “wrap” gang! Let us know which recipes you’re wanting us to make in the comments below. If we can make it healthier for you, we will!
And hey, have you grabbed a copy of the 131 Method Book yet? It’s in bookstores and on Amazon now!
Low Carb WrapsPrint Recipe
- 1 large collard leaf
- 15 ice cubes
- 5 cups water
- Cut the stem off the base of the leaf.
- Add half the water to a large skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Add remaining ice and water to a large bowl.
- Place the leaf in the water for up to 30 seconds. The longer you cook it the softer it’ll become, but you need it sturdy enough to hold your fillings.
- Using tongs, place in the ice bath for 10 seconds. Remove, pat dry and fill.
- Fill with vegan fillings such as hummus and veggies, or fill with ground beef or turkey slices…or whatever your heart desires. Wrap like a burrito, and serve.
Calories: 5 | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Carbs: 1g | Fiber: .5g | Net Carbs: .5g