Finding Your Perfect Workout
We all know daily movement improves our physical and mental health, so why is it we sometimes find ourselves struggling to actually do it consistently? Maybe this isn’t you and you have a solid habit of exercise formed. If so, congrats! This article is for those of you who just haven’t found your perfect workout jam yet.
Do you find yourself working out as a punishment or out of guilt? Perhaps it’s a consequence for certain eating behaviors or because of a trigger with the scale? Or you may exercise as you strive for a reward, such as a new outfit or to look great for a reunion. Unfortunately, the motivation wears off as soon as the short-term need is satisfied. The word “short-term” is key there!
The best way to stick to an exercise program is to find your soulmate workout! Ahhh, sounds peaceful doesn’t it? Your perfect workout is the one that is fun to YOU and gives YOU internal motivation. It challenges you to do more. It’s not something you “have to” do, it’s something you enjoy and look forward to every day.
To those of you who have never enjoyed exercise, this may sound like crazy talk! But trust us, there is something for everyone! You just have to be open to the idea, willing to experiment and admit you might enjoy (yes, enjoy) exercise! It is possible to actually look forward to your next workout and we want to tell you how to get started on discovering the perfect workout for you!
While there might not be one perfect hour, there will be a superbly fit club, or class, or teacher that fills that longing!
Start by asking yourself a few questions, and answer honestly:
- Do you prefer to be with people or alone?
- Do you love being outside or inside?
- Have you ever been involved in a sport you loved or been curious about?
- Are you competitive or not?
- Do you like to watch sports/Olympics/competitions on TV?
- Which activities are appealing?
Next, make a list of activities to try. This is where the fun begins!
- Check out a gym (or 2 or 10).
- Try some group classes (dance style, lifting, cycling, yoga, etc.).
- Hire a personal trainer (even virtually).
- Sign up for a dance class.
- Join a hiking group.
- Explore some Youtube videos or DVD programs.
- Try a martial arts class.
- Get a bicycle, or roller skates or Kangoos
- Try rock climbing or a ninja warrior gym.
- The list goes on! Remember, it’s ok if you try something and don’t like it. Learn from that experience and try something else.
Once you have found a workout you love, put it on your schedule! Look at your weekly calendar and decide when to fit it in. When you find something you love, it’s not hard to find the time! Once it’s a priority, schedule the time and make it a non-negotiable meeting with yourself.
Continue to challenge yourself. It’s important to always have something to work towards. As your fitness level improves, your original soulmate workout may change. That’s ok! It’s actually great! Find new ways to push yourself. Are there more advanced programs of what you’re already doing? Tougher hikes? A different class? Remember that your fitness is a life-long journey, so be flexible and willing to try new things.
Find friends who enjoy the same workout. When you surround yourself with people who share your passion, it’s easy to build excitement for that workout. You will make new fitness friends! Make these your friends outside of fitness and your bond will be that much stronger. Community is the most important thing when it comes to finding your perfect workout.