Do you ever make something and literally cannot wait to share it with everyone you know?! That’s how we feel about this flavor (and texture) explosion of a salad. Our Grilled Romaine is gonna knock your socks off. Never try grilling salad before? We don’t blame ya. It’s not super mainstream. But it should be! Charring crisp, and otherwise unexpected veggies, adds flavor usually reserved for outdoor grilled meats. The texture also changes. Crisp Romaine becomes softer, smoky and richer in flavor. Avocado becomes charred and creamy. And the tomatoes become softer and sweeter.
Rounding out the flavor: toasted hemp seeds. They almost taste like toasted sesame seeds, adding a crunchy, nutty flavor. We chose to add a little more fat and protein to our Grilled Romaine salad by adding soft boiled eggs. Trust us and do the soft boil. Leaving the yolks soft adds a rich creaminess that rounds out the dish.
This post contains an affiliate link
Grilled Romaine Avocado Salad Highlights
- Smoky, creamy, crispy, charred, nutty, sweet, acidic…these are just a few of the many adjectives to describe this salad.
- The dressing is super fresh and creamy thanks to the avocado and cilantro. It whips together in under a minute in the blender.
- Use an outdoor grill and do it all at once, or work in batches using an indoor cast iron grill pan. (Read all about our favorite, non toxic pans here).
- Low-Carb and perfect for a keto diet.
- Add some Butcher Box bacon to add another layer of flavor.
- This Grilled Romaine Salad contains a few of the best veggies for keto.
Grilled Romaine Avocado Salad with Egg & Toasted Hemp Seeds
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1/4th recipe
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 10 min
- 2 avocados
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ cup cilantro, stems removed
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 3 limes
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch sea salt
- 2-3 heads Romaine lettuce, sliced lengthwise
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 4 soft-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1½ tablespoons hemp seeds
- Make the dressing by chopping one avocado and adding to a blender with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, cumin and salt. Add water by the tablespoon to achieve desired consistency, if needed. Blend until smooth.
- Heat a BBQ or indoor grill pan over high heat. Rub 1 tablespoon olive oil over Romaine using your hands. Coat grill well with cooking spray. Grill Romaine for about 1-2 minutes per side, or until grill marks are achieved with a slight wilt.
- Slice remaining avocado in half. Remove pit. Coat with olive oil cooking spray and grill, flesh side down, for 3 minutes. Slice into half-inch slices and remove from skin. Lay over salad.
- Grill the tomatoes for about 2 minutes, to achieve grill marks, flesh side down. Lay over the lettuce. Set the sliced eggs on top.
- Toast the hemp seeds by adding to a small dry pan over medium heat. Shake pan until the hemp seeds become fragrant and lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle over the salad. Sprinkle the tops with sea salt, if desired.
- For a heartier meal, top with sautéed crispy tempeh.
Calories: 297| Protein: 10.5g | Fat: 25g | Carbs: 12g | Fiber: 7g | Net Carbs: 5g
Comment below if you make this delicious salad! And tag us on social! #131method, #131recipes, @131method