OH-YUM-OH… BBQ’d tempeh in a grilled avocado?! Yes please!
We believe in plants. The power of vegetables, fruits and fermented foods do wonders for gut health. That’s why we created a yummy BBQ tempeh recipe that even carnivores love!
Benefits of Tempeh Include (1):
- Packed with nutrients
- Versatile in cooking with a firm, almost nutty flavor
- Loaded with plant-based protein
- Dairy-free source of calcium
- Rich in prebiotics
- Soy isoflavones have been associated with reduced cholesterol levels
- Keeps you full
- Has antioxidants that fight free radicals
- May decrease cholesterol
A 3-ounce serving of tempeh contains:
- Calories: 162
- Protein: 15 grams
- Carbs: 9 grams
- Total fat: 9 grams
- Sodium: 9 milligrams
- Iron: 12% of the RDI
- Calcium: 9% of the RDI
Make sure the soy you eat is organic! Soy is one of the most highly sprayed crops (read: full of glyphosate). In fact, the only soy we do recommend is fermented. So, that pretty much means tempeh and miso.
The 131 Method online program contains hundreds and hundreds of recipes. The 131 Method Book has 100. Check out either for homemade sauces (like ketchup and BBQ) so that you can make this BBQ Tempeh recipe today!
Lets us know if you make out BBQ Tempeh recipe below. Oh, and have you ever grilled an avocado? YUM! What a delight!
Grilled Avocado with BBQ TempehPrint Recipe
- BBQ SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- ⅓ cup low sugar marinara sauce (such as Rao’s)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Monk Fruit Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- REMAING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 8-oz package tempeh
- 3 large avocados, ripe but still slightly firm
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 lime wedge (optional)
- 1 tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
- Add BBQ sauce ingredients to a small pot over low-medium. Whisk to combine.
- Bring to a low boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Slice tempeh in half longways, then cut into small cubes. Add tempeh and BBQ sauce to a bowl and toss well to combine. Let marinate for 1 hour.
- Slice avocados in half and discard pits. Brush the tops with 1 tablespoon avocado oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Heat a grill pan over medium and lay avocados down. Grill for about 5 minutes, until the avocados have grill marks and parts are light brown. Remove from grill pan.
- Add remaining oil to the pan over medium. Add tempeh and brown on all sides for 5 minutes.
- Fill each avocado with tempeh. If using, squeeze a little lime juice on top, sprinkle with seeds and cilantro, and serve.
Calories: 301 | Protein: 10g | Fat: 24.5g | Carbs: 16g | Fiber: 9g | Net Carbs: 7g