An Advocate of GMO? WTH?
Recently I had the pleasure of conducting an interview with a GMO advocate. With all my research lately on the negative impacts of GMO’s, it was a tough, but a necessary interview to do. I think it’s important to research both sides of a topic because, that’s how you determine the middle ground for you. And it’s different for everyone. But I feel that everyone has the right, and the ability, to make diet decisions for themselves. I don’t think one way is the end-all-be-all, and I don’t think ONE approach that is right for everyone. We’ve been taught GMO’s kill us! I really wanna know…are GMOs safe? To whom do we listen on this important topic?
So in an attempt to understand the other side, I brought a doctor on the Chalene Show. Dr. Steve Savage is a 35-year veteran of agricultural science. He has a BS in Biology from Stanford University, and a PHD in plant pathology from UC Davis. Since 1996 he has been working as an independent consultant in the agricultural community.
This interview reminded me that we all need a healthy dose of skepticism. We need to be our own advocates, and our own researchers. We can’t just believe everything thrown at us in the news or online.
When it comes to gut health, we learn more every day. At the root of our gut issues is the undeniable truth that we’ve been ingesting food that has been creating damaging effects on the lining of our colon.
Why the Other Side?
In the quest to heal my own gut, every expert I’ve spoken to recommends removing GMO’s from your diet. Glyphosate, after all, is basically an antibiotic! So if you’re eating crops sprayed with it, over time, the danger lurks just as if you were downing amoxicillin for every sore throat.
One thing we know for sure: simple labels have been complicated and muddled by crafty marketing and political agenda. I’m not going to profess to have all the answers. But, in an effort to help you make more informed decisions about what goes on your plate, I wanted to bring you an expert from the other side. What if we are throwing our money away on organic and non-GMO foods only to find out it’s all for nothing. Like, maybe GMOs are safe??
Topics Covered in this Interview:
– What does GMO actually mean? Generally speaking; Plants that have intentionally altered genes.
– In this audio Dr. Steve Savage covers the different types of genetically modification.
– Health implications and misconceptions of GMO’s.
– How to handle our food being sprayed with pesticides and chemicals?
– As a consumer, what should we be paying attention to?
– The misconceptions that consumers need to be aware of as it relates to USDA certified organic.
– The biggest myth around the term organic.
– What does organic actually mean?
– The fact that Organic farmers still use some level or pesticides.
– How are companies able to sell organic products that are genetically modified?
– From a marketing standpoint, what are some of the red flags to look for on labels?
– The marketing of non existence.
LISTEN to the FULL interview below! (Just click play). While you learn, check out this interview from the “No GMO” side. (Spoiler alert- he says the question of “are GMOs Safe” is a clear NO! And don’t forget to let me know what you think below! Leave me a comment. I love hearing from you.