Drink Up! Tips to Drink More H2O
We know we could all probably drink more water, but ugh. I don’t need one more thing on my to-do list. Here are the common excuses I hear for not drinking water:
- Water is so boring.
- I hate the taste of water (Huh?! What taste?)
- I have water on my desk and I just forget to drink.
- I don’t want to have to pee all day long!
- I never feel thirsty, so I forget.
Here are some ideas (and responses to those excuses) to get you drinking more of the water you know you need to drink:
- Buy a water bottle you love. If you don’t enjoy drinking out of your water bottle or glass, then why would you want to drink more? Side note: Make sure it’s BPA-free, or ideally, stainless steel or glass (you don’t want any plastic leaching into your water and messing with your hormones). Be sure the check out the One3One water bottles--intentionally designed to keep the temperature right all day long.
- Infuse your water: add some herbs, fruits, veggies. Here are some flavor combo ideas:
- Basil + strawberry + lemon
- Mint + cantaloupe (or watermelon)
- Ginger + lemon
- Mint + cucumber
- Just plain cucumber
- Just plain basil or mint
- Lemon and/or lime
- Set a water goal for your day. A general rule of thumb is to drink around half your body weight in fluid ounces of water. So, if you weight 140 lbs, then 70 fl oz minimum. If you’re active or sweating a lot, then you need more.
- Get half your water in before lunch and the other half before dinner. That way you’re not chugging 70 oz right before bed and up all night in the bathroom!
- Keep a carafe of water filled by your desk or in your kitchen. It is more visible and will remind you to drink throughout the day.
- Drink after you hit the bathroom. Try to get in a glass after every time you use the restroom. Think of the bathroom break as a great excuse to move! Sitting is the new smoking, so let’s get up and go.
- If you need bubbles try a sparkling water or make your own with Soda Stream (or something similar).
- Avoid artificial sweeteners at all costs! No Crystal Light or Mios or anything with calorie-free fake stuff. They mess up your metabolism. Period.