Why Lavender Magnesium Body Butter?
If you’re into essential oils at all (and these days, whose not tinkering with them just a little bit) you know all about lavender. This floral oil topped our own “Top 5 Five Essential Oils for Health” list. It’s known as “the sleep oil.” So, a lavender magnesium body butter simply wouldn’t be the same without this well-scented and universally revered oil. Since sleep tops every health gurus list for “most important health hack,” it only makes sense to include it.
Moving onto magnesium. This mineral is used in hundreds of reactions in the body. Top research states it promotes sleep and relaxation. Known as “the master mineral,” magnesium is responsible for more than 300 metabolic processes in the body. Food sources include: pumpkin seeds, cocoa, dark leafy greens, almonds and many herbs/spices. Alternate delivery systems include: Epsom salt in baths or topical magnesium oil absorb through the skin.
So, clearly these two powerhouses lead to better sleep and a sense of calm.
Next Up: Making Lavender Magnesium Body Butter
You’ll have to go online to purchase magnesium oil. It’s a powerful liquid that packs a punch. And by punch, we mean a little sting. Like, a legit sting. If you use too much, or straight onto your skin, it’s a little like salt water in a cut. The sting goes away, but consider yourself warned. Combining mango or cocoa butter and coconut oil with the magnesium dilutes the sting. It also creates the luxurious whip! Having tried both the mango and cocoa butters, it really comes down to personal choice. The mango butter has a slightly more pleasant smell for this recipe.
Do comment below if you try our Lavender Magnesium Body Butter recipe. Report back on the process, the final product, and if you slept better. So far we heard from many of you saying your muscles feel better! Feel free to #131method with your pics too!
Lavender Magnesium Body ButterPrint Recipe
- 3½oz (about ¾ cup loose) mango butter or cocoa butter*
- 3oz (½ cup) coconut oil, room temp.
- 2 tablespoons magnesium oil**
- 20-25 drops lavender essential oil (or oil of choice)
- ½ teaspoon beet powder (optional, for color)
- Add the mango or cocoa butter and oil to a small pot and heat on low until softened and nearly melted. Stir.
- Pour into a bowl and place in freezer for 15-20 minutes, or until beginning to freeze. You want it firm and chilled, yet still soft enough for the next step, which is uses beaters. If you begin beating and it’s too loose, just freeze a few minutes longer.
- Using a stand mixer or hand beaters, whip the mixture until fluffy. Add the magnesium oil, essential oil and beet powder, if using, and continue to whip until fully combined. If mixture becomes too loose again after beating, freeze for 5 minutes.
- Place in a Mason jar and rub on feet (and cover with socks) and body before bed.
*Mango butter has a neutral smell but is slightly less firm. Cocoa butter yields a slightly firmer body butter and has a deep chocolate scent. The lavender oil doesn’t always cover up the chocolatey aroma. So, you can use different oils that complement the scent, like peppermint or vanilla, if you like.
**Magnesium oil can sting a bit if placed directly onto skin, which is why body butter is a nice way to get this important mineral.