Even cauli-haters love this antioxidant rich cauliflower hummus. The truth is, you really can’t tell that this thick and creamy dip isn’t the real thing. To keep it healthy, use veggies like celery, carrots, bell peppers and zucchini as the vessels for this satisfying appetizer, perfect for any party. We love the low carb nature of this recipe. Most store-bought hummus contains canola oil too (something we try to avoid because it’s inflammatory).
What’s the point of using a vegetable like cauliflower, you might ask? Many people don’t do well with beans, so subbing in a super-food like cauliflower alleviates the negative side-effects. But more than that, it’s the anti-cancer and nutrient rich benefits we care about!
Cauliflower Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 cup
- 27 calories
- 2.1g protein
- 5.3g carbohydrates
- 2.1g fiber
- 2g sugar
- 0g fat
- 53mg vitamin C
- 15% DV folate
- 18% DV vitamin K
- 15% DV vitamin B6
Cauliflower also contains a compound called sulforafane, which helps block abnormal cell development. That’s some nice insurance against cancer! Eating lots of cruciferous vegetables may decrease your risk of all kinds of chronic diseases! Load up on broccoli, cabbage, bok choy, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and kale! Any time you can sneak these foods in (think pureed, riced, shredded or in a soup), you should. Cauliflower hummus is a great example of making the raw taste and texture some people don’t like.
Need More Proof? Cauliflower….
- Lowers inflammation: Packed with antioxidants, cauliflower helps protect cells from damage that leads to chronic illness.
- Assists with healthy blood pressure: Magnesium aids muscle contraction and cognition.
- Helps the digestive system: Cauliflower contains a lot of fiber, which relieves constipation. This makes life more “comfortable” and maintains colorectal health.
- Protects your bones: Vitamin K is necessary for both bone-mineral density and blood clotting.
Give it a try and see what your family thinks! Leave us a comment below if you’re able to fool your family!
This recipe works well for Phase 1 of the 131 Method. Curious about how to lose weight, learn how your body works, heal your gut and repair hormones? Check us out for more info here.
Cauliflower HummusPrint Recipe
- 4 cups (1 small head) cauliflower florets
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Heat oven to 400°F. Place cauliflower, and garlic on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Roast for 22 to 25 minutes, until tender and lightly browned. Cool slightly.
- Place cauliflower and all remaining ingredients into a large food processor and process for 30 seconds, or until smooth, scraping sides as needed.
- Serve with vegetables, in a wrap or with crackers.
Calories: 177 | Protein: 3g | Fat: 17g | Carbs: 7g | Fiber: 2g | Net Carbs: 5g