Will I Stay Full?
When carnivores think about going vegan, or even reducing their meat consumption, panic often sets in. “What on earth will I eat that fills me up?” Initial thoughts go to salads, which, let’s face it, don’t have a reputation for leaving you super satisfied the way a juicy burger or steak might. Further investigation might lead to pastas, lentils and beans, which are certainly more filling, but don’t always agree with everyone (hello boat!). Less healthy routes navigate towards the packaged food aisles with breads, crackers and frozen meals. So what’s a person to do when intentions are good, health is desired, but so is a full belly?! Well, ya learn how to rehab your favorites 131 Method style, like in this carrot walnut burger.
What’s the Beef?
These vegan burgers get their meatiness from walnuts, carrots and mushrooms. All filling on their own, the combination creates amazing texture and substance. Decide how you wish to serve them for ultimate satisfaction. If you’ve got the time, try them sandwiched between our 131 Sandwich Thins to create your own ultimate burger. Add as many veggies to that bad boy as you want! For a lighter approach, chop up your cooked patties and spoon into large salad cups to make lettuce wraps with one of our dressings. We’ve got an awesome Vegan Ranch on the blog, and an almond dipping sauce within the program.
Veggies: Good for the Gut
So, don’t be sc’rrd! Eating less meat and more veggies can be fun, and satisfying. In the 131 Method, we teach diet phasing. Our Nourish phase teaches you all about the health benefits of antioxidant rich fruits and vegetables. Do we eat meat…yep! But only the best (an least inflammatory kinds), which we also learn about at length from top experts and doctors. Plus, veggies feed your gut the goods it needs for optimal health.
Let us know your thoughts on eating meat, less meat and substituting with whole, organic greens from time to time!
Comment below when you try these amazingly delish carrot walnut burgers!
Carrot Walnut BurgersPrint Recipe
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 6oz sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 2oz shredded carrots
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Add the walnuts, mushrooms, and carrots to a large food processor. Pulse until mixture is broken down and resembles a soft dough. Pulse in the green onion, tapioca flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Form into 4 large patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium. Add the oil. Place the patties in the oil and cook for 5 minutes without moving. Reduce heat to medium-low, carefully flip (patties will be delicate) and cook for 5 minutes, pressing down slightly to ensure the centers get cooked. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes, then remove to a plate to cool for 5 minutes. Patties will firm up as they cool a bit.
- Serve inside butter lettuce leaves, crumbled over a salad or topped with guacamole.
Calories: 287 | Protein: 7g | Fat: 27g | Carbs: 9g | Fiber: 3g | Net Carbs: 6g