We love shopping in-season! Not only is it better for the environment, but it supports local farmers and it just tastes better. Summer months mean basil and watermelon are fresh and easy to find, especially at small local farms or stands (or maybe you grow your own basil!). We added some quickly pickled onions to our arugula watermelon salad to add a little extra zing. Feel free to “sugar coat” your pecans by adding them to a pan with 1 tablespoon of Swerve or Lakanto. Simply heat until the sweetener melts and coats the nuts. Or, just toast some walnuts instead. We think your Memorial Day, summer party or Labor Day will be exponentially better if you bring a gorgeous salad like this one!
Arugula Watermelon Salad
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 5 min
- 1/4th large red onion, sliced
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Swerve
- 10oz arugula
- 2 cups chopped watermelon
- ¼ cup chopped basil leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar (or dark balsamic)
- Fresh salt and pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup pecans
- 2oz crumbled feta
- Heat the vinegar and Swerve in a small pot to boiling. Pour over the onions and let sit for 30 minutes to quickly pickle them. Drain.
- Add the arugula, watermelon, and basil to a large bowl. Whisk the olive oil, vinegar and salt and pepper together. Toss into the salad. Top with the pickled onions, pecans, and feta. Serve immediately.
Calories: 182| Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Carbs: 8g | Fiber 1g | Net Carbs: 7g
Comment below when you make this bright and delicious arugula watermelon salad! If you’re in Phase it Up, it fits into several of your phases, including Troubled Times, Nourish and even Ignite!