Buckle your seat belts and hold onto your hats! This recipe is so dang quick, with so few ingredients, you’re gonna wanna run to your kitchen RIGHT NOW to whip up a batch. No, really, it’s true! And guess what else?! All you folks who beg us for nut-free and egg-free recipes, we got your back! These Apple Cinnamon Bagel Bites contain neither! These satisfying little numbers contain no gluten or dairy either!
So, What’s in Them?
- Cassava Flour. If you aren’t familiar with this gut-friendly starch, read up on it here. You see, our good gut buddies love resistant starch. Since resistant starch resists digestion, they also bypass absorption in the stomach and small intestine. They moves, unscathed, into the colon where they ferment and create “short chain fatty acids” (SCFAs). These are critical for our colon cells and health. (Also check out are flour alternatives blog here where we teach you how to use all kinds of gluten-free flours).
- Applesauce. We have no strong feeling nutritionally about applesauce one way or the other. It’s always better to eat the whole fruit so you get the fiber. However, in baking, this mildly sweet sauce takes the place of oil in some recipes. In our Bagel Bites recipe, it provides the perfect moisture for the cassava flour to become a legit dough.
To Stuff, or not to Stuff?
These chewy bagel bites don’t need a filling. But, for fun, we added a little Lily’s sugar free chocolate. Just break off a square from any of their amazing chocolate bars and stuff into the center of your rolled dough, then re-roll.
Equally good, though less gooey, was a filling of almond butter. Now, most natural almond butter is quite gooey and hardly “stuffable.” But, if you stir some of the almond butter at the bottom of your jar (you know- the kinda hard part no one likes at the bottom) with a little Lakanto syrup, it firms up. We were actually able to roll our maple-almond butter into small balls that could then be pressed into the dough, and again, re-rolled.
Check out a few of our other fall recipes with the same seasonal feel….
- Apple Cinnamon Low Carb Donuts
- Instant Pot Apple Cinnamon Oats
- Low Carb Pumpkin Cranberry Scones
- Low Carb Pumpkin Crumb Cake
- Pumpkin Curry Soup
Apple Cinnamon Bagel Bites
Yield: 14 servings
Serving Size: 1 bagel bite
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 16 min
Bagel Bite Ingredients:
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1 cup apple cinnamon applesauce (no sugar added)*
- 2 tablespoons Swerve or Lakanto Confectioners Sweetener
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Dark chocolate or almond butter (optional)*
- 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil or cooking spray
- ¼ cup Lakanto Sweetner Golden
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon or apple pie spice
- Heat the oven to 375° Stir together the cassava flour, applesauce, sweetener, cinnamon and baking soda. Roll into 14 balls. *If dough is too thick, just add more applesauce by the teaspoon. Dough should be very thick.
- *If desired, press small chunks of sugar-free or extra dark chocolate inside and re-roll. We also stuffed some with a stiff almond butter with success.
- Lay on a silpat or parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 minutes, turning once at the 8-minute mark.
- Add oil to a large bowl and roll the bagel bites in it to coat the outside lightly (or spray with cooking spray). In another bowl, mix the Lakanto Golden and cinnamon. Roll each bagel bite to coat.
Calories: 44 | Protein: 0g | Fat: .6g | Carbs: 9.5g | Fiber: .8g | Net Carbs: 8.7g
This recipe was inspired by our talented friend Bethany over at Lilsipper.com
What’s your favorite fall recipe? Want us to give it a healthy makeover? Comment below!