So you’re looking to achieve some fast weight loss? Of course you are! After all, why would you choose to lose weight slowly given the choice? Most of use would (and do) love the quick routes. Now, before we continue on. Let’s discuss some basics. Weight loss is always more that quick fix shakes or cleanses. However, there are certainly foods and shakes that impact your body in a way that supports weight loss. This can be hormonal, inflammatory or even satiety reasons.
Currently, one of the most popular diets that can result in fast weight loss for some people is the ketogenic diet. It has shown good weight loss results in both short and long term studies[i]. This is achieved by forcing the body into ketosis so that you can burn fat instead of carbohydrates for energy.
There are a number of other diets that could potentially be called a “fast weight loss diet.” The reality is that you will respond to the demands of a specific diet in your own unique way. You have your own unique composition and what works for someone else will not necessarily work for you. Perhaps you will even find it easier to lose weight and keep it off with a diet that is relatively higher in carbohydrates.
Some fast weight loss diets may work for you in the short term, but you could find them difficult to sustain. Due to hormone changes and other factors that alter when on that diet, it could even be harder for you to lose weight and keep it off.
So what’s the secret for a fast weight loss diet?
There aren’t really any secrets for choosing a fast weight loss diet. Many diets are backed by science, but the problem is more around whether they’re going to work for you in the real world (your world). And do you really want to achieve fast weight loss if it’s going to be impossible for you to maintain? We’ll leave it up to you! Maybe you do just want a “quick-fix?” Or, does a long term lifestyle solution sound better?
If it’s the latter, then the right weight loss diet for you is going to require:
- Listening to your body and learning which foods you personally respond well to (as recommended and taught inside the 131 Method). Writing in a food journal is a good way to reflect on how you feel after having a certain type of meal
- Educating yourself with a number of resources and across all areas of health (i.e. think beyond diets). Learn about the importance of other areas such as sleep, stress levels and mindset and how they can affect your weight loss results
- A little patience. Weight loss generally occurs slowly and surely once your body is in balance (that is key). If it’s not happening for you yet, you may just require a few tweaks to make it work for you.
Principles for fast weight loss drinks
No matter what weight loss diet or philosophy you follow, there are certain types of foods and drinks that can help boost your weight loss progress. The drink recipe ideas we’ll share today are based on principles that many weight loss meal plans support.
Let’s take a look at some of the reasons why our drink recipe ideas can help support your weight loss efforts:
They’re low in carbohydrates
When your body receives an onslaught of fast releasing, high carbohydrate foods or drinks, it results in a big increase in the hormone insulin within your body. Insulin works hard to bring your blood glucose levels back down to a normal level. Your body can lose its ability to use insulin effectively if these drastic insulin spikes are repeated often enough and for long enough. Sugar, in the wrong form or high doses without proper fasting breaks can lead to insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes. Ongoing intake of food and drinks high in sugar leads to weight gain and insulin resistance[ii]. Therefore, the three drink ideas we have listed are low in carbohydrates.
Herbs and spices proven to aid in weight loss
We’ve included some natural, widely known herbs that are delicious in drink recipes and also assist with a fast weight loss diet (or a slow one for that matter!). For example, green tea has been shown to have anti-obesity and anti-diabetic properties[iii]. It also acts as a mild appetite suppressant, diuretic, antioxidant and metabolic enhancer. Spices like ginger, cayenne and fennel aid in the digestive process, and herbs such as chamomile and dandelion root promote fat and cholesterol breakdown[iv].
They’re based on real food ingredients
A healthy weight loss diet should consist primarily of real, whole foods. This means selecting foods and drinks that are close to their natural form. “Real” ingredients allow your body to function more effectively, and weight loss should become easier. Therefore, the drinks we’ve selected are based on real, natural ingredients.
They may contain protein and fat
Two of the recipes we’ve listed below contain decent levels of protein and good fats (we’ve mentioned which ones they are). These ones are great choices for when you’re feeling a bit hungry. The protein and fat help satiate you and keep you fuller for longer. They should have the opposite effect of those high sugar drinks such as sodas, which keep you screaming for more! Protein and fat also play important roles in your body. For example, protein helps muscles and tissues repair, and fats are essential for the absorption of certain vitamins.
5 Drink Recipes for Fast Weight Loss
Coconut Berry Smoothie
This one is high in good fats so should help curb the hunger pangs until your next meal. Simply blend together:
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- A dollop of coconut yogurt or coconut cream
- A handful of your favorite fresh or frozen berries
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of honey or pure maple syrup (will increase the carbohydrate content)
- Ice, as desired
Iced Tangy Green Tea
This low calorie iced tea will help curb your appetite. The addition of lemon helps to hydrate and nourish your cells. Mix together and enjoy:
- 1 cup cold green tea
- Half a squeezed lemon
- Fresh chopped mint
The Metabolism Kick-Starter
This one has a bit of a kick to it, both for your metabolism and your taste buds! Mix together and enjoy either hot or cold:
- 1 cup hot or cold water
- A little juiced ginger, or ginger tea
- Half a squeezed lemon, or a whole one depending on your tastes
- A good pinch of cayenne pepper
Low Carb Choco-Nut Protein Smoothie
This recipe is high in both protein and good fats to help keep you fuller for longer. A good choice for when chocolate cravings strike and the next meal is a while away! Blend together and enjoy:
- 1.5 cups unsweetened nut milk such as almond cashew or tiger nut
- 2 heaped tablespoons of your favorite nut butter (e.g. peanut, almond or cashew. You can also use a handful of raw nuts if you prefer)
- 1 scoop of your favorite plain protein powder
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoons of honey or pure maple syrup to sweeten (will increase the carbohydrate content)
Finally, sip your favorite herbal tea to help with your weight loss journey…
Aside from these ideas, try simple herbal teas to assist with your weight loss journey such as chamomile, fennel, dandelion root or plain green tea.